Whether out for the day, or on vacation, or even if you are home watching TV, it’s a important to keep your home safe from unwanted intruders. This is especially true when your home is for sale! Homes for sale attract more attention from people, so it’s especially important to keep your home safe once you list it for sale.
Simple To-do’s to Protect Your Home
An interesting fact is that most burglars get into homes through an unlocked door or window. Remember to:
• ALWAYS lock your doors and windows.
• Have dead bolts on your doors.
• NEVER leave keys in a hiding place outside your home.
• Keep your garage door closed and locked at all times.
• Make sure you have a solid wood or metal door with high quality door frames.
• If your home is listed for sale, always keep the lockbox out of plain site view.
• Plant shrubs or bushes under your windows to discourage prowlers; and keep them trimmed. (It’s also a good idea for curb appeal when selling your home).
• When you’re not home, give the impression that someone is there. Put your lights on timers & have a neighbor pick up your mail. Having bright lights outside around doors and windows discourage break ins.
• Secure window air conditioners to prevent them form being yanked out or pushed in.
• If you see someone trying to break in your home, trigger the panic button on your car. That will set off an alarm, and hopefully scare them away.
• If you park on your driveway, don’t leave your garage door opener in plain site. Treat it the same way you would treat the key to your home. Burglars can break into your car and use your garage door opener to gain entry to your garage and also into your home.
Protect yourself in your car
• ALWAYS park in well lit places.
• NEVER leave your keys in the ignition when you get out of your car.
• Keep your car doors and windows locked when driving.
• If someone you don’t know wants to speak with you while you’re in the car, only roll down your window an inch or so.
• Leave at lease a car length between you and the car in front of you so you can easily drive away in the event that the car behind you tries to trap you.
• Don’t keep any valuables in your car.